ISC response to questions confirms problems in previous article, "The First Nations Financial Transparency Act is still on the books—but not enforced Published: 04 May 2026"
- Details
By Trevor Greyeyes
Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) indicated the First Nations Financial Transparency Act remains on the books, but is not enforced.
But the department cannot show whether transparency improved after federal enforcement effectively ended in 2015.
In responses to questions from Terra Indigena, Indigenous Services Canada confirmed that penalties under the First Nations Financial Transparency Act stopped nearly a decade ago as part of what it described as a shift toward reconciliation and First Nations led accountability approaches.
The department says accountability now relies more heavily on funding agreements, First Nations financial administration laws, and standards developed by the First Nations Financial Management Board.
ISC noted that more than 300 First Nations have adopted financial administration standards promoted by the board. The department also pointed to the New Fiscal Relationship grant and ongoing work tied to Ten Year Grants.
But when asked for measurable outcomes, compliance data, or evaluations showing whether transparency has improved since enforcement stopped, ISC provided little concrete evidence.
“Information on specific performance indicators related to these initiatives is not publicly reported in a single, consolidated format,” the department stated.
Council meeting adjourns before Peguis CFS funding extension is heard
- Details
PEGUIS, May 7, 2026 - Upon calling the meeting to order today members of council discussed the agenda which listed an item 15 "BCR #25 Request for policies and governing documents - CFS - Chief Stan Bird". Councillor Linda Sinclair, portfolio holder for Peguis CFS, requested the matter of the CFS agreement extension be put on the agenda. The current agreement expired March 31, 2026. Chief Stan Bird said that item is not properly on the agenda while his request for documents from CFS remains outstanding and unresolved. He said his request for documents was denied and this prevents him from doing his duty as a fiduciary. Without access to these documents how can I make an informed decision? he asked.
Bird's request dates back to last year when a quorum of council passed a BCR approving a one-year extension of the agreement despite being told information requests by the chief were denied. In October 2025, Chief Bird called on governments to terminate the coordination agreement saying, “The agreement has failed. It does not protect children. It does not meet the basic standards of safety, accountability, or transparency.”
With the support of quorum, Councillor Terrence Sinclair, citing lack of a 72 hour notice on the agenda, moved that the meeting be postponed. The motion was carried.
A date has not been set for the next meeting of council.
The Peguis flood threat has retreated – Those who came to our aid
- Details
By Terra Indigena staff
The flood threat in Peguis did not materialize as feared, but as Chief Stan Bird said in his latest community update, something just as important happened: “our people felt prepared.”
Read more: The Peguis flood threat has retreated – Those who came to our aid
The First Nations Financial Transparency Act is still on the books—but not enforced
- Details
By Trevor Greyeyes
The First Nations Financial Transparency Act still exists. The federal government says it “remains in force.” But for nearly a decade, it has not been enforced.
That’s the reality.
Read more: The First Nations Financial Transparency Act is still on the books—but not enforced
Peguis flood threat retreats, but Chief says permanent protection still needed
- Details
By James Wastasecoot
Terra Indigena
PEGUIS FIRST NATION, Man. — After days of emergency preparation, sandbagging and targeted evacuations, Peguis First Nation has avoided the major spring flood that many feared could repeat the damage of 2022.
Chief Stan Bird said the immediate threat has eased, but the work is not finished. Cleanup is now underway, some homes remain surrounded by standing water, and temporary sandbag protection will stay in place until near the end of May in case more spring weather systems bring renewed flooding.
Read more: Peguis flood threat retreats, but Chief says permanent protection still needed
Page 1 of 9